Thursday 30 December 2010

How the Media can influence an audience - The Hypodermic Syringe theory

The hypodermic syringe effect is the theory that Media in any from has an effect on the audience, eg if an audience watch a piece of violence, they may want to do something violent.

Personally I think, to some extent it does indeed work, But it only works with the non extremities, for example, if a character commits a grusome murder, most people will have the common sense to view that it is wrong and not copy it, whereas if they see a relatively cool character drinking a can of coke, they may want to do the same, either in order to be like the character or they just believe coke is a thirst quenching drink. My point being media has an effect on the audience, but always to some extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-TSVwPkCok
 This is a link to a youtube video of a performance from John Mayers "Where the Light is" Dvd.
Being a musician, and owning this DVD myself, I can say it is a piece of media that inspires me to pick up a guitar and keep practicing and playing to hopefully be that good, also on the consumer mside of things, it makes me a fan of John Mayer, making me buy his various CD and merchandise.

No comments:

Post a Comment